Hi all, new here so please be kind :P
I am in a rental property with an extension lead type set up leading to the conservatory for powering washing machine and tumble dryer. This was done to the property by previous owner and keeps blowing the fuse which is replaced every few months.
It has now been agreed by the landlord that these plugs need to be put on the ring main and they have said this will take most of one morning to do.
I have also asked them to do a "safety" check on the wiring in the property as each sparks that we've had through the door has done a sharp intake of breath when looking at the fuse box! All have said it should be different (and excuse me here as I have no idea what i'm typing so it may appear strange lol), we have 100amp rather than 30? (I think it was amp!) The wires (yellow and red I think) were wrong, they were 6 instead of 10 or something like that.
Where do I go from here? If I call an electrician in, will they be able to do a full safety check around the house? It is old (late 70's) and I have no idea of any re-wiring done. There are very few plug sockets.
The agent has barked down the phone that we are not to do any work. I'm not that stupid! I just want to know that the home i'm living in is safe for me and my family!
We have an annual gas check, why is there not an electrical one!
Thanks in anticipation.