Sagging Staircase In 1950s Ex Council House
Drainage pipes, concrete, footings and foundations. Post your questions and find answers here

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Plick
Labourer
Labourer

Sagging Staircase In 1950s Ex Council House

Post by Plick » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:13 am

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a run down ex local authority semi detached house, I've viewed it a few times and noticed the staircase has dropped on the left all the way up the stairs and on the return (dropped toward the centre of the house) the floorboards have dropped on the top of the stairs exposing a gap under the skirting boards.
But this is the only un level area in the house.

It is a standard 1950's council house and the drop is only 10-12 mm but its noticeable and I would definitely like a level staircase.

I have had a builder come and look, he has been very honest and given me a answer and a rough repair price. And recommended I also get a structural engineer to look. The structural engineer said he will do a visual report and tell me what I already know, that it needs investigation!

I'm asking you knowledgeable tradesmen if you have seen such examples of this before and what it was? this cannot be the only ex-council property this has happened to!

Many thanks

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Sagging Staircase In 1950s Ex Council House

Post by welsh brickie » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:43 am

I totally agree with your builder, get a structural survey done, if you sell your property you can show the new owner the report you had done and its peace of mind for you

Plick
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Plick » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:54 pm

Thanks for the reply Welsh Brickie, I am almost convinced that there is no subsidence or that it needs underpinning. There is no cracking or plaster loose and I can see the original plaster.

For the cost of the survey fee I could replace the staircase which is part of the larger plan.

I am just confused why the staircase has dropped, it appears the original carpenters put it up drunk!

I was hoping someone on here has a similar experience with their ex-council property and could tell me their story. As I said mine can't be the only one suffering this problem.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by welsh brickie » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:50 am

in older houses staircase do shrink, even in new build a crack will occur, Its probably the packing that has given way, if your convinced there are no structural issues then I would reposition it repack and drill and fix it,

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:54 am