Sand and Cement Patio Base Disposal
Post your questions and get answers regarding all areas of drives, pathways and patios

bijgouder
Labourer
Labourer

Sand and Cement Patio Base Disposal

by bijgouder » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:05 pm

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and would value some advice please.

My rear garden has an approx 5m x 5m paved patio, which has become uneven, and also slopes upwards, away from the house. With the intention of levelling the ground and rectifying the slope, I removed a row of paving stones to check what lies beneath. They were placed on a sand and cement base, which seems to cover the whole surface, and needed some small effort to break up.

If I want to turf the area, or even use grass seed, is there a way to avoid digging up all the sand and cement, maybe a way of breaking it up or digging it in? I'm think I know what the answer will be, but I'm trying to avoid having to dispose of a load of this sand/cement mix. On top of this, I'll also have to move or dispose of a lot of soil during the flattening process.

As an aside, there is also a manhole cover within the patio, which sits higher than I would like in relation to the house. Any advice on this, including whether building regulations might affect alterations, would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:50 am