Sanding Emulsioned Plasterboard
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
musotechy
Labourer
Labourer

Sanding Emulsioned Plasterboard

by musotechy » Sat May 12, 2007 10:22 am

Hi,

Got a bit of a DIY project going at the moment. All was going great until I decided to sand the wall down. The wall in question is plasterboard and the previous owner must have just chucked a tin of satin emulsion over it for coverage. The are raised streaks all over, plus the removal of various shelves meant some filler. I decided to get the sander out with a 120 grit paper but thats when the problem started. In places the paint is so thick that it gets hot, melts and then reforms in to a rock solid patch that only remelts and reforms each time I try to remove it. I have thought about replacing the plasterboard but the wife says NO! Shes right of coarse, the room is complete all but for this wall.

I was wondering if changing the grit size of the paper to maybe 80 would help. My theory on that is that it will hopefully remove the paint quicker and not have time to heat up :oops: . If not could anyone please offer some alternative methods.

Many Thanks In Advance

muso

thedoctor2
Ganger
Ganger

by thedoctor2 » Sat May 12, 2007 11:03 am

Hi
Yes i can see your problem there , you could skim it over with a fine surface using a wide knife [you will need a degree of skill to do this ] a light sand , then line with Wallrock depending on the extent of the brush marks you just might away with Wallrock on its own , then redecorate as u wish paper / or paint it

musotechy
Labourer
Labourer

by musotechy » Sat May 12, 2007 11:19 am

Many thanks for your reply.

I would love to have the skill to skim/plaster, I have so many walls that will need that in the future. However this has been a major project, work and money wise that it needs to been properly. I think on this occasion I will have to follow my Dad's number one DIY rule, get someone else to do it! Bit of a let down for me as I like to try and do most things myself. All is not lost tho, just been chatting to my brother and it turns out his friend is a plasterer. I supply the material and the beer, he will take care of the wall.

I am going to look in to the products you mention as they maybe handy for the next project.

Thanks for your help and hope you have a great weekend.

Best Regards

Gary

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:31 am