Satin varnish on top of gloss on wooden floor
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tomski
Apprentice
Apprentice

Satin varnish on top of gloss on wooden floor

by tomski » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:16 pm

Hi

Recently had the landing sanded and varnished with a polyurathane floor seal (Rustins).

The idea was to have a satin finish to the job (on an old victorian floor) but the guy who's done it has either not mixed it right or used a gloss seal.

Is it possible for me to key the floor by hand-sanding and re-varnish on top of the gloss with a satin seal - or do i have to go back to square one and re-sand from scratch.

Any advice would be welcome.

Tall Tone
Ganger
Ganger

by Tall Tone » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:45 am

Hi Tomski
No problems as long as no water repelant products (polish, wax or oil) have been used since it was re-sealed. The final coat defines sheen level.

Clean the floor with Bona Remover to thoroughly clean it, lightly key with fine sanding paper making sure you do not put any large scratches into the surface. Then remove surface dust with a vac and a damp cloth and you are ready to go.
Regards
TT

tomski
Apprentice
Apprentice

by tomski » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:03 pm

Thanks mate. Huge relief :)

tomski
Apprentice
Apprentice

by tomski » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:20 am

[quote="Tall Tone"]Hi Tomski
No problems as long as no water repelant products (polish, wax or oil) have been used since it was re-sealed. The final coat defines sheen level.

Clean the floor with Bona Remover to thoroughly clean it, lightly key with fine sanding paper making sure you do not put any large scratches into the surface. Then remove surface dust with a vac and a damp cloth and you are ready to go.
Regards
TT[/quote]

Hi Sorry to bother again, but is this Bona the "Bona Parkett Polish Remover" as it's the only bona product I can find that's a "remover" rather than a cleaner. The only reason i ask is that it doesn't specify for polyurathane finishes. Thanks

t.

Tall Tone
Ganger
Ganger

by Tall Tone » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:32 pm

Thats the one. Removes grease, dirt, rubber shoe heel marks and sometimes Polish!!!
Regards
TT

tomski
Apprentice
Apprentice

by tomski » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:45 pm

[quote="Tall Tone"]Thats the one. Removes grease, dirt, rubber shoe heel marks and sometimes Polish!!!
Regards
TT[/quote]

many thanks.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:47 pm