sawing a curve
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
molmol
Labourer
Labourer

sawing a curve

by molmol » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:13 am

Hi,
I have a piece of softwood 44mm thick. I need to cut a curve piece out of it - its a very slight curve about 3ft long.

I have a jigsaw - will this do the trick? Do i need to buy a special blade?

Any other advice I might need appreciated.
thanks

Mol

Loki
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Loki » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:58 pm

If it was a smaller cut I'd say use a coping saw but if the cut goes on for 3ft a jigsaw would be better. There is a variety of blades available for most jigsaws each of which have a number of uses like wood, metal, plastics and so on. best thing is refer to your jigsaw manual and see if it recommends a blade for curved wood cutting i know my bosch one does or look at the jigsaw manufacturers website. Something else to bare in mind is the thickness of the wood your cutting and the max cut depth for the jigsaw / blade.

Hope this helps

Loki

billy d
Apprentice
Apprentice

by billy d » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:53 pm

Mol pick up a Bosh blade Extra clean for wood(T308B).Don't push the jig saw let it do the work just guide it.Check that your jig saw will take bosh blades fist.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:37 pm

if only a slight curve i'd be inclined to do it with a belt sander, palm sander, hand plane or spoke shave or even a rasp. depends how much material you need to remove. if it is only a very slight curve then probably to only way to go is by hand.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:52 am