Scratched ceramic tiles
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Joaquinfan
Labourer
Labourer

Scratched ceramic tiles

by Joaquinfan » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:55 am

Hi, I was really hoping someone could help. I live in a rented house that is still being renovated around me. The people who own the house are getting their Dad who is a retired builder to do most of the work, and to say he's not quite a craftsman would be an understatement! While installing an extractor fan in the bathroom recently his drill 'skittered' across a couple of tiles leaving a silvery mark behind. He assured me that this would come off with a bit of Jif, but it didn't.

Is it more likely that this is a scratch and it's a layer under the glaze I can see or if it's a mark what can I get it off with?

If it is scratched is there anything I can buy to cover it with? I am loath to ask the builder to replace the damaged tiles as I have a feeling the job wouldn't be done that well and would look worse than the scratched tiles.

Thank you!

EyeTry
Tradesman
Tradesman

by EyeTry » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:43 am

It is possible that the drill tip got hot and as it skittered across the tiles it damaged the glaze. Jif should have taken the usual surface marking off (or at least reduced the effect) but a fingernail test should confirm whether the tiles are actually scratched. A careful application of clear nail varnish along the scratch might have improved things but wouldn`t help to hide any metal mark.

DIY shops (B&Q, Homebase, wall paper stockists, etc) sell various transfers to titivate boring walls, glass doors, TILES, etc..... what about a couple of those strategically placed across the damage? Or some of the wallpaper border trim put in a square around the extractor - like a frame, but covering the marks..... Good luck, EyeTry

Joaquinfan
Labourer
Labourer

by Joaquinfan » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:12 pm

Thank you EyeTry!
As it happens a friend recommended a product called Autosol, a metal polisher (?!) and that seems to mostly have done the trick, there's just a very small mark left now, but you wouldn't notice it if you weren't looking!
Thank you for your time and reply though!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:55 am