Screw head stripped/threaded
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
SJB
Labourer
Labourer

Screw head stripped/threaded

Post by SJB » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:07 am

I'm not 100% sure what this is called , but basically I have taken the philips screw head and made it look like a big hole! (shouldn't have used the drill as a screwdriver me thinks).

So, obviously, now no screw driver will work and the screw is in to tight to use pliers. The screw is in a metal bracket attached to a wall and it goes though the stud at the other side of the plasterboard wall. I assume i have to saw the screw off - if so what do i do this with as everything i've tried has kept slipping. All suggestions gratefully received.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:05 pm

you can drill the head off. start with a small drill bit and drill in as far as the stem of the screw (just past the head) then use progressively larger drill bits.

alternatively there are kits available to buy. one has a special screwdriver head designed to work in most enlarged (or mullered, to use a technical term) hole. if that does not work there is another kit available that comes with a self-tapping screw with a reverse thread that bites into the head.

as it's reverse thread you turn anti-clockwise to tighten until it is tight enough to loosen the screw.

allan the locksmith
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by allan the locksmith » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:36 pm

Alternatively use a dremmel to cut a slot into the head and use a normal slotted screwdriver,works a treat.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:05 pm