Seal between Double glazed units and frames
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
telboy62
Labourer
Labourer

Seal between Double glazed units and frames

by telboy62 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:24 am

We have just had new windows fitted by a local company. On one window, the drain holes had not been opened through, water completely filled the frame until the installer simply drilled through to let water out. I now notice that most sliding mechanisms on most windows are VERY RUSTY (after just 1 month). Should water 'flow' betweeen glazed units and UPV frames? The installer says 'yes'.

lariston
Apprentice
Apprentice

by lariston » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:55 pm

Yes Any glazing system will allow the ingress of water, no matter how well sealed. hence the need for the drain holes.
However. Under no circumstances should the Friction Stays (sliding mechanisms) be rusty, especially after only one month
The stays are usually stainless steel, the screws are sometimes a problem, but the stays should never be. Serious problem, escalate it within the Glazing Company and get the stays replaced. Do not take no for an answer

One question , you haven't had the bricks cleaned with acid have you, I've seen that rust stainless before

telboy62
Labourer
Labourer

by telboy62 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:40 am

Thanks for that reply. I am a retired Chartered Engineer and the mechanisms do not really have the appearance of stainless steel, although they might well be SS. Screws are totally rusted and the rust on the stays themselves is significant! I am awaiting a visit from the installer and hope that the prob is curable. The water ingress has been enough to rust the mechanisms on bottoms of frames, both at the upper and lower fixings. Seems that the water is just not escaping enough.

I am still surprised that the 'seals' are not meant to prevent ingress of water. I always assumed that the drain holes were there to facilitate drainage of any 'dampness' that might get into the sealed units, not to drain volumes of rain water. As I said earlier, the darin holes on one frame were not there at the bottoms, hence the bottom of the frame, whole length, was filled to the brim with water. Not what I want at all. AND simply drilling through to release water has left the appearnace of these drain holes very 'unattractive'.

telboy62
Labourer
Labourer

by telboy62 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:31 am

Just occurs to me. Should the stays (sliding mechanisms) be in the outer groove of frame (ie nearest outside) or in the inner grooves (nearest inside). Mine are in the outer grooves, but something in me says that the inner grooves would be better.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:08 pm