Sealed bathroom spot lights with a plug on the end!?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
salslad
Labourer
Labourer

Sealed bathroom spot lights with a plug on the end!?

by salslad » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:27 pm

HELP!

I purchased some ZONE 1 sealed mini spot lamps to go on the ceiling above my shower, but the power supply to the Transformer has a 3pin plug on the end, they are low voltage with a transformer but I would like to some how get them to work as the main bathroom lights are turned on, I beleive the lights are suitable because they are waterproof and can be used outside (like in your decking).

Do I have to get a junction box from the light switch cable and run a spur with a socket on the end to plug the lights in?

ericmark

by ericmark » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:54 pm

1. You would not normally connect to the switch as there is normally no neutral connection at the switch so would have to come from the light.
2. You would not put a 13amp socket onto a lighting circuit.
3. Bathroom requirements can be higher than those for equipment used outside.
4. The Part P regulations will stop you doing work in a bathroom unless in Scotland without paying more to building control than an electrician who is registered under Part P will charge.

You could have special plugs and sockets fitted. Which would normally not be interchangeable with others used in the house but that would not be normal way of doing things. In a bathroom less than 12 volt for some Zones (I can’t find my book at moment) which means some SELV (Separated Extra Low Voltage) can’t be used, but I would expect yours is OK but since you will most likely need an electrician to fit it he will advise.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:25 am