All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Sealing Joint

by kbrownie » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:54 pm

Hi,
recently installed new shower, I want bury pipework in the wall as the shower will be ceiling mounted. My problem is that to connect the shower control valve I have had use a male coupler but the joint when tightened has a very small dew drop like drip appearing. I've used PTFE tape and plumber cement compound but still that tiny drip. I don't want to plaster and tile until this is resolved. Any suggestion on best way to deal with this problem.
Many thanks in advance
KB

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:30 pm

hi could be a damaged olive,small indent on copper pipe,assuming its copper
have you tried putting a few wraps of ptfe on the olive first then tightening it up
could try using new coupler olive or piping start again
bob

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:21 pm

I would just try re-jointing, 3 or 4 revolutions of PTFE tape in the direction of the threads.

is it a male iron to 15mm coupler, ot a tap connector ? should there be a fibre washer ?

Is it defiantely a leak, not just condensation ? feel other pipwork see if that's wet also.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:46 am

Hi thanks for replys,
It's a copper 15mm coupler which i have removed nut and olive because the shower valve has a female thread and i've tightened the coupler into value and put ptfe tape on. Sure it's not condensation all rest of pipes are dry, just a small droplet of water sitting underneath joint. I have connected a 90 degree tap connector to it so pipework routes in right direction, could be the washer in that! I'll check tonight. I've done the same with the other feed and the the supply to shower head they are both okay!
Cheers
KB

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:50 am

A 15mm connector is not meant to be used as a 1/2" male iron, if you want a fitting to screw into a female joint - you need a 1/2" male iron to 15mm compression connector.

This does not have a chamfered edge for a olive to fit, it has a flat face.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:14 pm

Thanks for info, htg engineer.
I don't consider myself an idiot! So why didn't I think of that?
As the song goes "Should i've known better"
I've been out got myself 15mm to 1/2 inch coupler, wrap some PTFE tape around threads, taken the 15mm couplers off. Changed washers in tap connecters because i've been trying to tighten them up too much and knackered a couple of them!
So far no drips, HOORAY!
Cheers again!
KB

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:30 pm