security lighting
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
paul3775
Labourer
Labourer

security lighting

by paul3775 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:47 pm

I[size=18][color=black] want to install security lighting around my house , what is the best or most suitible cable to use.
i am giving myself two options
(A) two independant PIR units and two floods or
(B) two floods c/w pir
Prefer (A)
I would like both units to be activated when one of the sensors are activated.
Possible a wiring diagram for two independant PIR units and two floods so i increase the amount of floods in the future.

Paul[/b]

ericmark

by ericmark » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:10 am

The information is not enough to give any read answer but remember if you have a junction box outside it comes under Part P so assuming you are attaching to walls all inclusive units may save you having to apply to council. Also cable outside would normally be black to avoid degrading in sun light. New rules will also most likely mean they need an RCD and there may be rules as to how you can mount lights over certain size. I think under Part L you are limited to 150 Watts and must auto switch off when there is enough light and when not required. I don't think you are allowed tungsten lamps any more has to be a discharge lamp. I think the lamp has to give 40 lumens per circuit watt.
There is a link in projects to Part P and from there you should also find Part L and of course outside lights are visible by nature so not complying with regulations would be a little silly.
Eric

paul3775
Labourer
Labourer

by paul3775 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:50 am

Hi
the lighting i want the diagram for is for small block of flats and not one house.
i am overseeing a small project of which all i wanted was a circuit diagram of the wiring to ensure that it is done correctly, i do understand that part p does come under certain parts of the installlation , the lights would only be spread over a communial garden and not anywhere any other property.
If anyone has any correct ways of wiring this it would be much appreciated
i am just asking the opinion of other parties to see if the wiring would be suitible for the layout out the flats.

Paul

paul3775
Labourer
Labourer

by paul3775 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:02 am

[quote="ericmark"]The information is not enough to give any ready answer but remember if you have a junction box outside it comes under Part P so assuming you are attaching to walls all inclusive units may save you having to apply to council. Also cable outside would normally be black to avoid degrading in sun light. New rules will also most likely mean they need an RCD and there may be rules as to how you can mount lights over certain size. I think under Part L you are limited to 150 Watts and must auto switch off when there is enough light and when not required. I don't think you are allowed tungsten lamps any more has to be a discharge lamp. I think the lamp has to give 40 lumens per circuit watt.
There is a link in projects to Part P and from there you should also find Part L and of course outside lights are visible by nature so not complying with regulations would be a little silly.
Eric[/quote]

There will be no junction boxes on the external parts of the flats, all that will be showing will be the supply cables ,the main floods and the sensors.
This will be of course be fed via the landlords supply and on RCD protection.

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:14 pm

Because it is hard to make junctions within many of the lamps using one with built in PIR or light sensor may be better option. At the time I was doing this sort of work Part L was not in force and there were some nice 70 watt son bulkhead fitting which would work well with built in light sensor not sure if you can still use these with Part L which all seems silly when the local council has just lit up a road by me solely to make it into a 30 limit.
Independent PIRs may now be required under Part L sorry but I am not conversant enough to answer this one. If you follow links in projects for Part P you should also find Part L since you can bet someone will not want the light I would advise to check up on regulations.
If you are lucky Sparx will answer he is more up to date than me.
Eric

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:56 pm