Self Levelling Compound onto Block and Beam floor
information and advice on general building topics, builders merchants, problem builders, DIY Stores etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
The Riviera Kid
Tradesman
Tradesman

Self Levelling Compound onto Block and Beam floor

Post by The Riviera Kid » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:50 am

Hi folks,

Good morning to you all. I wonder if you might help me with a query I'm currently struggling to find all of the answers to.

Our 1990 build ex housing association house has a very lumpy bumpy chipboard floating floor. It's been grating on me for years, Laminate doesn't look or feel right when laid, and you can't tile onto it. So far I've ripped up the hall floor and discovered it's of a concrete Block and Beam type construction. The hall doesn't look too bad,but I'm not sure what I'll find under the floating floor in the kitchen as that one is really bad, there's a large noticeable hump about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way into the room.

What I'd like to do is to have the floor levelled in some way so I can lay ceramic tiles onto the hall and kitchen. I'll do the living room at a later date. I've found a product called Wickes Deep Base Levelling Compound which claims to be good for up to 50mm thickness. I estimate at this stage needing something under around 20mm thickness, maybe even under 10mm. What I'd like to know is, is this sort of product suitable for use on a Block and Beam type floor? The Blocks and Beams appear to have been 'grouted'. If it is suitable, would it need to be primed with something first? Also should I use anything around the perimeter of the wall other than a baton of some description to stop the product flowing into the living room?

I had planned to use rigid insulating tile backer boards like Marmox boards to replace the polystyrene once the floor is level.

Alternatively is there another easy way of doing it? I don't mind employing a builder to lay some sort of screed if needs be, but as funds are currently a bit tight, I wouldn't mind having a go myself. I'm a competant DIY'er who is keen to learn.

The Kid

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

floor

Post by welsh brickie » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:33 pm

It would be best to put a screed down its more economical

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:16 am