Separating a ceiling light with a double switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tyxaios13
Labourer
Labourer

Separating a ceiling light with a double switch

Post by tyxaios13 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:52 am

I have a double switch in the living room that is meant to separate the light bulbs so that you can turn on either half of them by pressing the one switch or all of them together if you press the 2 switches.My ceiling light has reception for 3 wires (line,neutral,earth) and from my ceiling come out 3 wires (line,neutral,earth) I connected them to the light according to the colors and now one switch turns them all and the other switch does nothing.I want to be able to turn on the half bulbs with one switch and the other half bulbs with the other switch.Thank you

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:44 pm

I have a double switch in the living room that is meant to separate the light bulbs so that you can turn on either half of them by pressing the one switch or all of them together if you press the 2 switches. [Have you multi lights on each fitting or is each fitting intended to be separate] My ceiling light has reception for 3 wires (line, neutral, earth) [This would be unusual normally 4 terminals line (Loop i.e. supply) Line (Switched) Neutral and earth?] and from my ceiling come out 3 wires (line, neutral, earth) [Again one would expect two or three cables feed in line, neutral, earth feed to next lamp line, neutral, earth and connection to switch line, line (may be neutral colour with sleeve), earth] I connected them to the light according to the colours and now one switch turns them all and the other switch does nothing. [Do both switches have their own twin and earth cable?] I want to be able to turn on the half bulbs with one switch and the other half bulbs with the other switch. Thank you
[I would guess first lamp switch and supply to next lamp swapped around but too much missing information. Is there a junction box or block in ceiling space?]
Eric

tyxaios13
Labourer
Labourer

Post by tyxaios13 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:18 pm

[Have you multi lights on each fitting or is each fitting intended to be separate] The only thing on the ceiling is a triple cable coming out of it, with three colored cables yellow,blue,brown. The living room has a switch fitted in the wall that is double, meant to seperate the bulbs turning on by half. The light that I hung has also 3 cables of the same color. Since there is a double switch fitted in the wall ,how many cables should come out of the ceiling or how many cables should the light have? (There are only three)

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:43 am

It seems it is not wired in a standard manor so although nothing wrong we can't really guide you much.
Sorry Eric

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:01 pm