Setting central heating temprature
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
wimiu012uk
Tradesman
Tradesman

Setting central heating temprature

by wimiu012uk » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:39 pm

I have recently had a gas combi boiler fitted with radiator thermostats fitted to all radiators except the hall radiator where the control thermostat is.

Can anyone tell me how to set the system up ?

Do i have the boiler working all the time and then set individual radiator stats up to have room temperature where i fell comfertable ?

Have come from a solid fuel system so didnt have to set anything up. The house was just toasty warm all day including night time.

DEEARR2
Ganger
Ganger

by DEEARR2 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:04 pm

You have got it just about right. Set the time controller for the boiler to suit the occupation times and adjust each thermostatic rad valve to suit the required temp for each room. There is a conflict of control when room stat is installed in conjunction with thermostatic rad valves where the hall temp will be the reference point for the whole system and control the boiler on/off.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:00 pm

With respect to DEEARR2, there should not be a 'conflict' with system you have.
set as you have with room stat at max. and allow all rooms to reach set temps. once there flow will cease everywhere except in area with wall stat. turn it down untill it clicks off, raise it 1-2 deg and leave it.
This will prevent the boiler constantly cycling on/off.
Also if outside temp (solar gain) raises boiler won't try to run.
Building regs Part-L suggest this set up for energy efficiency.
There should on newer systems also be a bypass pipe near boiler with a graduated pressure relief valve set so that if all valves shut off at anytime the pump can over come the valve spring and still have somewhere to pump to.
Most older systems and sadly many new ones have a simple gate/ballfix type fitted which does not comply since they always let some water bye, very inefficient but cheap.
regards

wimiu012uk
Tradesman
Tradesman

by wimiu012uk » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:49 am

Thanks, will try to set up when we get some consistant cooler temps.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1