Settlement and Shrinkage

Postby bazzary » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:58 pm

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. I recently bought a brand new 2 bed flat in a purpose built block and have since rented it out. The flat is built above a car park (supported by pillars and rsj's), with a flat above it. My tenant recently told me of a sudden 'jolt' when in the flat and one of the windows popped open, there are now a number of cracks in the plaster, some of the architrave is cracked, one of the doors nor does not fit the doorframe properly and the flooring has come away from the skirting in places and is now creaky and bouncy (it's a floating floor incidentally). The builders have visited and told me that it's settlement/shrinkage and that they will remedy the problems. However, I always thought that settlement os more of a gradual thing and would not happen all of a sudden. I am going to get an independent surveyor to assess, but can anyone advise if what the builder is sayiong sounds like BS.


Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:46 pm


Simply Build It

Postby thedoctor » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:19 am

Sounds dodgy indeed but it can happen. A surveyor is a good idea.
Site Admin
Posts: 2254
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:15 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


  • Related Topics