Several Layers of Underlay for Sound Absorption on Noisy Joists
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

Mooshay
Labourer
Labourer

Several Layers of Underlay for Sound Absorption on Noisy Joists

by Mooshay » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:14 am

Hi All, i have done a lot of research of this and the general consensus is that multiple layers of underlay are bad for carpet leading to damage, wrinkles poor finish etc. However, the issue i am having is my joists are very loud for impact noise. The span is around 3.2m and the house roughly 6.4 x 6.4m with a solid wall on the ground floor which the joists span across. The noise is like a trampoline effect which you can hear rattles the walls on the first floor and is very loud below, it's a 1960's semi. I've added insulation between the joists, rubber matting, 22mm chipboard and 11mm underlay though the issue is still very much apparent. Layering the underlay three times almost resolves the issue completely as eradicates the impact as the underlay absorbs all compression though what alternatives should i look at please which will offer the same results? I've looked at floating floors though do they offer the same compression as three layers of underlay can? Many thanks

It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:47 pm