Shed Wiring
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
andy6149
Labourer
Labourer

Shed Wiring

by andy6149 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:08 pm

Hi,

I am getting my driveway replaced and thought it would be a perfect time to get my shed wired up. Asked large local Spark firm to do it, I expected a connection to be made in my main fuse box with a trip switch there then the cable run to the shed then a small consumer box in the shed. But, what they did was connected the armoured cable into the back of a socket in the kitchen, ran the armoured cable out the wall and over to the shed, then there is a fused switch with a red light on it - this switch controls the single tube light and is rated at 5 amp, the two double sockets are wired straight into the supply side of this switch. They tell me this is perfectly legal and will cause no problems - can anyone advise?

jackhawk
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Shed Wiring

by jackhawk » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:51 pm

[quote="andy6149"]Hi,

I am getting my driveway replaced and thought it would be a perfect time to get my shed wired up. Asked large local Spark firm to do it, I expected a connection to be made in my main fuse box with a trip switch there then the cable run to the shed then a small consumer box in the shed. But, what they did was connected the armoured cable into the back of a socket in the kitchen, ran the armoured cable out the wall and over to the shed, then there is a fused switch with a red light on it - this switch controls the single tube light and is rated at 5 amp, the two double sockets are wired straight into the supply side of this switch. They tell me this is perfectly legal and will cause no problems - can anyone advise?[/quote]

Hi Andy,
It seems like they have taken the easy and cheep way of installing the shed circuit. As they have taken a spur from an existing socket, they are limited to a single or one twin or multiple socket outlet. The other concern is the earthing arrangements. Have they used 3core SWA with one wire sleeved yellow and green for earth or used the steel armour. The latter being very hard to achieve. This work is also under Part P and a cert for the work must be completed. More info if you can. The new circuit from the fuse board would be the best and safest way.

jackhawk

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:39 pm

Hi, would have been ok if only one dble skt. as would have counted as a spur from ring as any other in house may have been, BUT
1] is socket on RCD protection?
2] only one outlet allowed from a spur, so going on from it to a light via a FCU constitutes more than one point, 2 outlets + light spur a no-no!
3] could have done it as is by going through a FCU at house first so total load could only be 13A, using an RCD - FCU if socket not already on RCD circuit.
4] as work outside house would also need to have been registered with LA bldg control under part-p regs in addition to normal test certs. [Minor works] being issued to you, if you don't get card from your local authority bldg control dept within a couple of weeks ask them why not!!!
regards SPARX

andy6149
Labourer
Labourer

by andy6149 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:42 am

Thanks to both of you - I am in Northern Ireland and our Building Regs are different with no Part P. They say its legal and I can prove it was done by an NECEIC (is that right) registered installer I am using RCD sockets in the shed just to be sure. The annoying thing for me is that the way they have done it is the way I was going to do it myself, but I thought "pay for a spark to do it right" - so thats £180 wasted

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:34 pm