Shifting Upstairs Toilet Room Door 5 Inches
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jaina
Labourer
Labourer

Shifting Upstairs Toilet Room Door 5 Inches

by Jaina » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:26 pm

Hi,

Our upstairs toilet and bathroom are separate (see current layout). As there is no sink in the toilet, we would like to add one. But the toilet room is tiny so we want to shift the door about 5 inches to add that tiny bit of extra room (as shown in the picture of the layout).

If you look at the attached picture of the toilet there is a like a header (?) on top of the door which covers it up to the ceiling. I am not sure if this is load bearing, BUT, the plan is to keep that bit there and just move the door frame. This would leave a space on top to close off which we can turn into a tiny storage unit or just box it off.

I hope that I've described it well enough for you to visualise. My question is if that wall/header bit on top of the current door is load bearing, would it still be ok to move just the door frame. The current door is width of the toilet so I can't see why it would make a huge difference, but I just want to check.

Thanks
Attachments
Toilet_Bathroom_current_layout.jpg
rsz_toilet.jpg

Skid Sprocket
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Shifting Upstairs Toilet Room Door 5 Inches

by Skid Sprocket » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:21 am

Assuming that above the toilet/bathroom is the loft, have you looked in the loft to see if any joists are resting on the toilet door lintel/wall. Even if there are joists resting on it the door frame wont be carrying any weight and so if you dont disturb the lintel then you should be able to move the door.

Jaina
Labourer
Labourer

by Jaina » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:49 pm

Hi Skid,

Thanks for responding. The toilet/bathroom is not in the loft, it is on the second floor (below the loft).

Regards
Jaina

Skid Sprocket
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Skid Sprocket » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:57 pm

Skid Sprocket wrote:Assuming that above the toilet/bathroom is the loft, have you looked in the loft to see if any joists are resting on the toilet door lintel/wall. Even if there are joists resting on it the door frame wont be carrying any weight and so if you dont disturb the lintel then you should be able to move the door.

Sorry, I was meaning that I assumed there was a loft above.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:13 am