Shocks in kitchen and bathrooom. Am I going to die?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
barnstudios
Labourer
Labourer

Shocks in kitchen and bathrooom. Am I going to die?

Post by barnstudios » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:34 pm

I have recently moved into a studio barn converstion and some parts have not been wired professional. All seemed fine but recently we have recieved minor shocks from the copper water piping in the bathroom, the sink, the hob and the oven which is worrying to say the least. I don't think everything has been earthed corrently? Could this be the cause of the problem or does the fact their is a current passing through signify something more serious. Most importantly is this really dangerious or just a somewhat dangerous? I know we need to have a professional out to look at this but if anyone could give me any indicators of what the problem may be that would be great. Thanks Aaron.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:46 pm

Hi barnstudios,
The fact that you are getting shocks off the pipe work, sink etc.. suggest that it has been earth bonded coorectly. that's the good news!
But you have a fault with your electrics that is why you are recieving a shock and it needs to be addressed straight away. A live conductor is putting voltage in to your earth bonding to find earth.
Get the electrician around ASAP!
Be safe
KB

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:37 am

Is it just a tingling or a full belt? If the former then I agree 'tis an earth problem. Full belt is more serious.

In either case KB is correct. You need a qualified man on it asap. Don't delay.

Cheers

rvholmes
Labourer
Labourer

Post by rvholmes » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:14 am

Hi barnstudios,

We had a similar experience next door to us some years ago when the occupants were getting slight shocks from metalwork -- it turned out that they had a fault on their washing machine which was making their pipe-work live, as the water system had a section of plastic pipe inserted, the complete system was not properly connected to earth. Also they discovered that the ECB in their electrical system was not properly installed.

Hope this helps to sort out your problem, if not already solved!

rvh.

P.S.: Also, at that time, the mains water feed in the street was ALL PLASTIC (not compatible to good earthing!) and the stop-tap in the street outside their gateway was occasionally live.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:22 am