Short term stove installation - liner needed?
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
alexeix
Apprentice
Apprentice

Short term stove installation - liner needed?

by alexeix » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:51 am

Hi,

I'm planning to fit a small wood burning stove to get me through the winter, but it will subsequently be removed, as the house is due to be demolished next summer.

Bearing in mind the intended lifespan of the installation and the associated cost, is it really necessary to get the chimney lined or can I get away with not doing it?

The property is a mid-1930s bungalow, so a short chimney and it's scheduled to be cleaned next week.

The existing open fireplace barely raises the room temperature! :(

Any thoughts?

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:26 pm

The problem with an open fire, or indeed an enclosed wood burning stove, is that it draws the air it burns from the room its in and that air comes through a great variety of holes round the doors, window and up through the floor.

I would guess that the bungalow is full of holes and that it has a suspended wood floor, with large ventilators under?
Carefully designed to be well ventilated (freezing) to avoid condensation and wood rot.
I would also guess that when the fire is alight you are roasted on one side and frozen on the other, with the expensive warm air being burnt and sent up the chimney?
Rather than going to the expense of fitting a wood burner, that will not improve the ambience of the room, arrange things so that the holes are blocked, fitting hardboard and newspaper on the floor, to block the holes will help.
Fit a four inch pipe under the floor, starting at the outside and terminating near the fireplace, so that the fire burns fresh cold air from the outside.
This will eliminate the drafts and create a pleasant comfort zone.

alexeix
Apprentice
Apprentice

by alexeix » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:00 am

Thanks for the reply, but the open fire takes hours to produce any noticeable increase in temperature - as you say, all the heat goes up the chimney.
The house is not particularly drafty though.

I'm going ahead with the stove and installing it tomorrow - less than £300 including the register plate, and I think it will make a dramatic difference.
It's going to act like a big radiator.

I'm not bothered about the ambience, more about keeping warm!
I didn't mention that there is no heating in the house...

Anyway, we used to have a stove in the house I grew up in and I think they add to a room.

Away_to_your_shed
Labourer
Labourer

woodburner

by Away_to_your_shed » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:43 am

Can you post an update to tell me whether you proceeded and how it's working out?

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:23 pm

Let DIY Doctor help you to find quotes from vetted and trusted tradesman local to your area. Visit our Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:04 pm