Should I have got Building Control Approval
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
magiccat
Apprentice
Apprentice

by magiccat » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:29 am

We had an 8 foot stud wall built to create a hallway in our open plan front room.

The handy man who was doing our tiling suggested it and carried out the work. He said we didn't need to apply for building control as it was non structural and didn't effect fire escapes as there is an external door in each room - existing front door in hallway and existing patio doors in lounge and new internal door from lounge to hallway.

We listed this work on the property information sheet but now our buyers solicitor is asking for a building control certificate.

We obviously don't have one! Or a guarantee from the handyman.

Any ideas what we need to do now?

xavi99
Ganger
Ganger

by xavi99 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:04 pm

In my opinion your handy man is correct becasue the work does not come within the definition of building work in the building regulations. There are no structural issues and it make the means of escape better particularly for the first floor.

Tell your solicitor to advise that it is not notifiable work.

Good luck,

magiccat
Apprentice
Apprentice

by magiccat » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:54 pm

They have now agreed we didn't need Building Control Approval so contracts being exchanged tomorow :)

xavi99
Ganger
Ganger

by xavi99 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:47 am

Well done, good luck

magiccat
Apprentice
Apprentice

by magiccat » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:33 pm

Thank you :) And thanks for your previous post - made me more confident in holding firm so much appreciated!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1