Should I lay my concrete base in sections?
Post your questions and get answers regarding all areas of drives, pathways and patios

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Manc_pablo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Should I lay my concrete base in sections?

by Manc_pablo » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:10 pm

I am going to lay a concrete slab that is 9' x 17' and approximately 6inches deep. I am following the guidelines in one of the diydoctors how to projects.

The question is though, should I lay the base in two sections and if so, what is the best approach to take? :?

I am ordering pre-mix concrete and ideally would like it all delivered in one batch, rather than two.

Paul

Nitrospud
Labourer
Labourer

Laying concrete slab in sections ??

by Nitrospud » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:14 pm

BTT

Sorry for the hijack, but this post seems to have been missed. I'm in a similar boat, need to lay a concrete slab for a pre fab garage. The slab will measure 4.2M x 8.7M and is 150mm thick with steel mesh reinforcing. I intended to lay Ready Mix in two or three equal sections to make it more manageable, but have talked to two different companies and both have said they would normally lay that size in one hit. The other reason for sectioning it, is that the long edge is against a fence and therefore tamping can't be carried out from the sides. Any feedback appreciated ??

Steve

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:43 pm

Paul it makes sense to lay in one go as preparation and travelling cost.
However, to stop it from cracking you do need a proper prepared smooth base and you do need to cover the base with a damp proof membrane, to create in effect a tank to stop the cement leaching out into the base.
When the concrete has started to go off cover the whole area with sand and keep it damp for about ten days.
Watch out for the effect of the sun drying out the slab.

chris12121212
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Laying concrete slab in sections ??

by chris12121212 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:27 pm

[quote="Nitrospud"]BTT

Sorry for the hijack, but this post seems to have been missed. I'm in a similar boat, need to lay a concrete slab for a pre fab garage. The slab will measure 4.2M x 8.7M and is 150mm thick with steel mesh reinforcing. I intended to lay Ready Mix in two or three equal sections to make it more manageable, but have talked to two different companies and both have said they would normally lay that size in one hit. The other reason for sectioning it, is that the long edge is against a fence and therefore tamping can't be carried out from the sides. Any feedback appreciated ??

Steve[/quote] wot ever you do please do not lay concrete in one go any more than 6 meters. if you do it will crack and look bad and cost you loads too put right. every 6 meters you MUST leave a expansion joint

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:47 pm