Should I replace my radiators
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
burt12345
Tradesman
Tradesman

Should I replace my radiators

by burt12345 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:59 pm

Hi

We had a combi boiler fitted about a year ago, but we didn't replace our radiators, which I think are from the 70's. Unfortunately our system is piped with 8mm ?micro bore? - not sure if that causes issues, but it's been flushed and all is ok.

Should I be thinking about replacing the radiators for new more efficient ones and if so do I replace with the same size, and is there any efficiency ratings I should look for?

I'm not sure if I can mention trade names but what is the difference between cheap ones from screwfix to other more expensive ones.

thanks for your help.

Burty

nishnish
Labourer
Labourer

by nishnish » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:31 pm

I've just replaced 70s rads, with multiple lovely coats of gloss paint, with modern models.
The difference is huge.
I thought the boiler was not up to the job until the change.
It was simply the low heat output from the old rads.
Use a radcalc and overspecify by a decent margin.
You'll get the rooms up to temp quicker and then the TRVs can control them.
The siting of old rads is usually questionable. Don't be afraid to move them to better locations. I found putting them under every window saves wall space and makes the room seem larger. Though I know that some disagree with this.
Add extra rads to rooms you want up to temp quicker if needed e.g. master bedroom, living room.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1