Shower adapter for mixer tap?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rouge4
Labourer
Labourer

Shower adapter for mixer tap?

Post by rouge4 » Mon May 12, 2008 12:34 pm

Hi - hope I'm posting this in the right place! I'm really hoping someone can help me - I've just moved into a new flat (renting) where there is no shower, just a bath with one mixer tap. I've looked pretty much everywhere I can think of but the only shower adapters that seem to be sold are for dual taps. Does anyone know if such a thing exists, or has any suggestions for another way round this? As it's a rented flat I can't really do anything major, but a shower adapter would be so helpful!

Many thanks!

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Mon May 12, 2008 1:58 pm

What type of system is it ?

Combi, or tank/cylinder in loft/airing cupboard ?

I can't see the landlord having a problem with you installing a shower if that's what you want, it depends on how long you're planning to live whether it's worth while or not. I would also consider contacting the landlord, they might offer to pay for it or even pay something towards the installation, as it will benefit them and future tenants.

If you don't have a combi I would fit an electric one for ease of fitting and cost.

If you have a combi boiler a thermostatic mixer shower would be best.

The shower attachment for the taps are ok for washing hair - no good for showering.

htg

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Tue May 13, 2008 11:55 am

what type of bath is it? if its acrylic you could drill another hole and fit a two-into-one with a shower head. the taps might be off centre, depends on where the existing tap is.

you can then fix a riser rail and use as a normal shower, though as htg engineer says they are not great for showering. depends how good the pressure is.

an electric shower might be the easiest solution but without seeing the job its hard to say for sure.

rouge4
Labourer
Labourer

Post by rouge4 » Tue May 13, 2008 12:18 pm

Thanks for replying - it's a tank in the airing cupboard. We did ask about installing a shower but were told that the water pressure is too low and that is why they were built without. That and the fact they'd have to tile the wall fully too. The pressure seems ok in the bath, although the hot tap in the kitchen is literally a tiny trickle (any suggestions for that as it takes 15mins to fill the sink?).

I know an adapters not going to be great, but I don't think we are going to be able to install anything better unfortunately, and it would certainly speed up washing my hair in the mornings! I still haven't been able to track any down just for the one tap though.

Many thanks, and I'll keep looking!

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Tue May 13, 2008 4:19 pm

if the pressure isn't that great then you might find that a bath mixer with shower head is ineffective as a shower. if you raise the head of the shower up to height you will lose pressure and may find that you only get a trickle.

if you have a hot water cylinder and a cold water storage tank you could install a pump for a shower.

kitchen tap - hard to say precisely without seeing it, probably the pipework feeding it is 15mm (your bath will, or should be 22mm) so the water meets with more resistance. if you have a kitchen mixer tap it is often connected to the supply via an 8mm flexihose. this will reduce the pressure further.

also check to ensure that any service valves to isolate the tap are fully open.

Dave From Leeds
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Dave From Leeds » Wed May 14, 2008 12:01 am

You could try a garden hose mixer tap adapter along with a shower fitting for two taps. Split off the single hose to the shower head and attach this to the tap adapter. As others have said though, you might not get a very good flow. However this way it shouldn't cost much to find out.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:33 pm