Shower cable spur
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
trogre
Apprentice
Apprentice

Shower cable spur

by trogre » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:55 pm

I have a single 13 amp socket in loft which has a 13 amp spur next to it.Since the wiring go under the loft flooring I have never been able to check the wiring.However the time has come to replace the flooring and I have found previous owner has taken a spur off the shower cable that runs into loft.A small length of shower cable runs into the 13 amp switched spur unit and then some 2.5 amp wire into the 13 amp socket.

It is besides the point I only use the 13 amp socket for small photography lights ,I would like to know is this safe or even can this be done.I have read of light coming off a power circuit which has been spurred down to 5 amps but not my set up.
Thank you

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:03 am

Hi togre,
Electrical Shower circuit should be independant and seperate from all other circuits and should not have spurs branched from them.
So if I was undertaking the installation it would not be there, If I was inspecting the installation I would have to flag it up.
As far as safety is concerned I think you should have it removed a power source found from elsewhere.
KB

trogre
Apprentice
Apprentice

by trogre » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:31 am

Thanks for info.Been looking at alternatives and I think I can either just use a extension lead for the small of use it gets ,easy solution .The other is to
take a fused spur off rings mains in what I call the small box room. Chase out about 2 feet of wall to feed through into cupboard which is part of structure and cannot be moved. Once in cupboard use conduit to cover wire as opposed to capping in chased wall.
Once in loft connect socket to new wiring ,would that be an alternative which is safe .
Thanks

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:52 pm

[quote="kbrownie"]Hi togre,
Electrical Shower circuit should be independant and seperate from all other circuits and should not have spurs branched from them.
So if I was undertaking the installation it would not be there, If I was inspecting the installation I would have to flag it up.
As far as safety is concerned I think you should have it removed and a power source found from elsewhere.
KB[/quote]

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:32 pm

Hi trogre,
Hard to say for sure, no problem taking a fused connection unit to create a spur from a ring final. The routing of cable should be in permited areas which allow for satety and make others are aware of cable routes unless the chase is at least 50mm deep from either side of wall or has mechanical protection. This will need at least a minor works cert. So i'd ask an electrician to give you a quote.
KB

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:13 pm