Shower fan and light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bobp
Labourer
Labourer

Shower fan and light

by bobp » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:02 am

Is it safe to connect a shower fan with low voltage integral light to the shower ceiling switch -shower is 10 kw with 10mm wire) do I need to put an in line 5 amp fuse?

cheers

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:45 pm

Hi Bobp, Very interesting, this is the second time someone has asked this?.
I am sure everyone will shout NO!! you can't do that, however although unconventional, if looked at with regards to regs, then there are possibilities...
Regs (473-10-01) state you can't go down a cable size without going through a fuse/MCB rated for smaller cable ie 1.0mm2= 10A fuse max, this would seem to mean that u would need to run a 10mm2 from shower sw. to Fused Connection Unit, then run on in 1.0mm2 to fan! Impossible to fit 2 X10mm2 in sw. so seems all is lost, OR NOT!
Regs(473-01-02) says the device protecting cable against over load can be placed 'along the run' provided minimal danger of damage can occur to it & the FCU is as close as possible to the source ie pull sw.
this is explaned in an IEE book provided to me on a seminar on regs @ IEE headquarters, I apologise for the long winded answer, with regs,
but I bet a £ to a pinch of **** leckies reading this will disagree!!!
regards SPARX

bobp
Labourer
Labourer

by bobp » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:35 pm

many thanks sparx, what do you mean by
" the device protecting cable against over load can be placed 'along the run' provided minimal danger of damage can occur to it & the FCU is as close as possible to the source ie pull sw."

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:33 pm