shower isolator switch

Postby mungo » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:46 am

:( hi, I have just fitted a new shower unit and I have included a shower isolator switch (pull cord) into the circuit that is located on the bathroom ceiling, what I want to know is, does it matter where the power supply connects to in the isolator switch ( into and out of the switch), in other words can they be connected any way round or is the switch designed in a specific way for the wiring to be fitted so that when I use the pull cord the power runs the right way. Incidentally the shower unit is a replacement for an older one which only had a isolator switch downstairs by the consumer unit so I incorporated another one in the upstairs bathroom.
any help would be most appreciated.
cheers mungo :oops:
mungo
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:41 am

On larger switches like those used with showers there is sometimes flash arrestors and they have a supply and load side and normally are both marked Supply and Load and L for Line and N for neutral but not all switches are of this type.
Also be aware of Part P and be careful with shower sizes and RCD protection as of course if it is non complaint the LABC may not issue a completion cert.
You can replace like for like but once you add even if to make it safer you need to pay the local government it's taxes.
Eric
ericmark

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!