shower isolator switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mungo
Apprentice
Apprentice

shower isolator switch

Post by mungo » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:46 am

:( hi, I have just fitted a new shower unit and I have included a shower isolator switch (pull cord) into the circuit that is located on the bathroom ceiling, what I want to know is, does it matter where the power supply connects to in the isolator switch ( into and out of the switch), in other words can they be connected any way round or is the switch designed in a specific way for the wiring to be fitted so that when I use the pull cord the power runs the right way. Incidentally the shower unit is a replacement for an older one which only had a isolator switch downstairs by the consumer unit so I incorporated another one in the upstairs bathroom.
any help would be most appreciated.
cheers mungo :oops:

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:41 am

On larger switches like those used with showers there is sometimes flash arrestors and they have a supply and load side and normally are both marked Supply and Load and L for Line and N for neutral but not all switches are of this type.
Also be aware of Part P and be careful with shower sizes and RCD protection as of course if it is non complaint the LABC may not issue a completion cert.
You can replace like for like but once you add even if to make it safer you need to pay the local government it's taxes.
Eric

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:29 am