All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
momanlad
Labourer
Labourer

Shower mixer runs cold

Post by momanlad » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:30 pm

Hi,

I installed a Mayfair Surf set of mixer taps and a screwed a simple rain head shower fitting (Screwfix) into the wall. However, the shower runs cold.

There was an old mixer faucet that worked fine and ran a perfect temperature that could be adjusted normally however with my DIY installation of this one; it errr, doesn't anymore!!

When installing the taps i cut the pipes and replaced with flexible tap connectors (push to fit). During the cutting i did note that there was somekind of valve or something on the pipe. Didn't have a clue what it was and have since binned the piece in question.

I had assumed that the water merely mixed in the faucet and produced my shower. It appears that i have underestimated this somewhat.

When i turn the hot water on out in comes and i can hear the pump engage from my boiler (which is standard immersion i think). When i turn the cold on, even just a little, it seems to overpower the hot and i hear the pump turning off. The shower then runs cold.

My guess at this is that the mains pressure overrides the hot water pressure. I am guessing about possible solutions and have come up with the following:

1) I have cut out a valve. Not sure what type of valve but maybe a non return valve or a pressure reducing valve. No idea to be honest.

2) The hot water pump needs upgrading to push it through .

3) i need a plumber as i am clearly out of my depth... ;-\

Any ideas??

Is this a costly fix if i require a pro?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:49 pm

momanlad,
Fit a pressure reducing valve (not a flow reducing valve) in the cold mains feed to the tap.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:42 am