Shower pump install in loft
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stephensont
Labourer
Labourer

Shower pump install in loft

by stephensont » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:33 pm

Hello,
Quick question as regards to part P & a shower pump...

We're looking at installing a shower pump in the loft to feed a new shower as part of a bathroom refit.

While on-site for an earlier job (replacing a 1970's consumer unit & meter tails), we've already had a new dedicated circuit installed by a sparky along with a new supply cable for an electric shower - which has been temporarily terminated in the loft space above the bathroom as at the time we knew we wanted to fit a shower (and needed a new circuit for it) but didn't know where in the room it was going to go.

Assuming we locate it in the loft, and therefore outside of the bathroom, do I need to get the electrician back in to connect the shower pump to the existing shower supply cable or can I do it myself?

Appreciate the cable will effectively be overrated for a shower pump as it was sized for an electric shower, but I'm assuming this won't present a problem...?

Thanks

Tim

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:11 pm

hi Tim,
as the circuit is there & outside bath room imho you can connect to it BUT,
as you say the cable will be oversize, not a direct problem but it will need to be fused down.
A local fused spur (FCU) will be ok but it might be a challenge to connect to the feed cable since most FCUs will be tight using a 6mm2 cable & impossible with a 10mm2 .
The other option would be to join a smaller flex to the cable in a suitable junction box and down grade the MCB in the consumer unit to a 6A, this however is not DIY as you are altering the circuits characteristics and should be entrusted to your leckie,
regards Sparx

stephensont
Labourer
Labourer

Thanks Sparx

by stephensont » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:26 pm

Thanks Sparx - I'll look at the idea of a FCU which would also serve as a handy isolator for the pump I suppose.

If it's not going to work / fit then I'll ask our leckie to change the MCB next time he's on site.
Tim

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:28 pm