Shower tray waste - installed for good!
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bemused
Tradesman
Tradesman

Shower tray waste - installed for good!

by bemused » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:30 pm

I am about to install an Aqualux Tuff-Stone shower tray in a first floor bathroom. The waste will be on the side of the rectangular tray that is up against an external wall and will exit straight through the wall so there's not far to go with pipework. The tray is very heavy and I can't imagine ever wanting to move it once installed, so it's in for life, with no opportunity to service the waste trap (which will live between the joists in the void between bathroom floor and downstairs ceiling).

My thinking is to use a metal waste with removable grate and a simple p-trap and then head straight through the wall to a rodding point. I reckoned this would give me enough access to clear any blockages.

So my question is:
How do I ensure the waste is sealed for good against the tray? Silicone, Araldite epoxy, .....?

If I can be sure of getting a really good seal I was going to foam the entire space around the waste and trap for added stability.

Grateful for any thoughts or suggestions.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:30 pm

Firstly, use something like a Mc Alpine trap. They can be totally dismantled and inspected from the top inside the shower enclosure.

If you want, you can silicone the rubber seal that fits the trap to the base of the tray, but other than that, nothing is required other than making sure joints are tight before installation.

It is also a good idea to flush loads of water down the pipework as soon as the tray is installed (before completion) so if it leaks, it is not a job to rectify the problem.

bemused
Tradesman
Tradesman

by bemused » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:32 am

Many thanks Plumbob, that all sounds like good to me.
Cheers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:00 am