Shower/ Utility Room and washing machine
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
hutch09
Labourer
Labourer

Shower/ Utility Room and washing machine

Post by hutch09 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:55 pm

Hi,

I have added a shower unit to our utility room and would like to keep a washing machine in the room too.

Is there anyway to satisfy the new regulations? The washing machine is approximately 1.5m from the shower unit/ capsule at the moment.

If the washing machine and the electrical connections were housed in a cupboard with a door would this satisfy the new regulations?

Many Thanks for looking, I was hoping I won't have to move the washing machine!

hutch09

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:13 am

Door would need a tool or key to open it so not really an option.
Shower cubical 2.25 meters high or to ceiling would be one option but I have not seen any.
3 meters between shower and washing machine is other.
Or live in a boat where regulations don't cover.

hutch09
Labourer
Labourer

Post by hutch09 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:14 am

Oh ok, thanks for the reply! The only other thing I can think of is if the electrical feed comes from another room.

Currently the room next to the washing machine is a living room with a socket in the corner which the cable can reach once a hole is drilled into the wall. Could this satisfy the regs?

Failing that will have a washing machine for sale v soon!

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:34 pm

The regulations are not law. However Part P is. And really it is all down to who ever is signing the completion certificate.

We can quote from regulations until blue in face but if guy who needs to sign completion cert does not like it then all to no avail.

So only option is to ask him. Either the electrician doing work if he is self certifying or the local authority building control if not.

I would want to see shower surround either to ceiling or at least 2.25 meters high. Then anything outside the surround is not counted as being in a bathroom. I am sure you can find some perspex or similar to extend the walls of shower surround. But ask first in case they don't agree.

Most building control guys are helpful as with any trade there are the odd few who dig their heals in but with something like this better to go direct to man signing paperwork.

hutch09
Labourer
Labourer

Post by hutch09 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:51 pm

I will have a chat to the electrician doing the work, he was looking into it too so hopefully we can find a solution. We are working with a shower enclosure unit so all the water is contained in this unlike a walk in shower, don't know if this changes things.

I really appreciate your comments so thanks again for your time and effort in writing the replies. In the mean time the boiler has packed in......when it rains it poors!!

Cheers

marmaliser
Labourer
Labourer

Post by marmaliser » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:12 am

TS we are planning to do exactly the same. If you get an answer could you please post back.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:56 pm

This is the bit I have been looking at:-
701.32.1 General
When applying this section, the zones specified in Regulations 701.322 to 701.32.4 shall be taken into account For fixed prefabricated bath or shower units, the zones are applied to the situation when the bath or shower basin is in its usable configuration(s).
Horizontal or inclined ceilings. walls with or without windows, doors, floors and fixed partitions may be taken into account where these effectively limit the extent of locations containing a bath or shower as well as their zones.

Where the dimensions of fixed partitions are smaller than the dimensions of the relevant zones, e.g. partitions having a height lower than 2.25 m,

the minimum distance in the horizontal and vertical directions shall be taken into account (see Figures 701.1 and 701.2).
For electrical equipment in parts of walls or ceilings limiting the zones specified in Regulations 701.322 to 701.32.4, but being part of the surface of that wall or ceiling, the requirements for the respective zone apply.

It is that magic 2.25 meters figure. I was surprised when looking in the DIY sheds that there was not a single shower cubical to that height. Also it says door not curtain and I have been in many a house where the en-suite shower although in a room off main bed room did not have doors so in theory the 3 meters horizontal rule still applied before first socket. Neither does it say room the word is location.

But nothing says doors must be closed! I have two folding doors between my living and dining room which are normally open and you may be able to satisfy regulations by adding doors of this type.

however there are two considerations.
1) Is it safe.
2) Does it comply.
Is it safe must be first and providing it is safe then likely something can be done to comply with regulations. Sliding doors, folding doors, partitions to extend to ceiling or 2.25 meters high. There will be a way.

hutch09
Labourer
Labourer

Post by hutch09 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:53 pm

Blimey! Took a few re-reads to decipher that one probably the time I am reading this after a long day at work!!! I have the electrician coming over Monday so will see what his take on it. As you say safety is the key issue and zones and how these are described and interpreted.

Hopefully we can satisfy the regs with making a fixed sealed cupboard with a door to satify a fixed partition, the socket could well be used in the adjoining room so that would be outside 3m from the shower unit.

Plus need to get my tape measure out, would be interesting to see how tall the unit is! Its not too far off the ceiling so wouldn't be too difficult to reach 2.25m or the ceiling...interesting that they don't sell any to satisfy this reg!

Thanks again, will re-read it again in the morning to see if i have grasped the content of the regulations! I never knew building regs can be so complicated when doing alterations!!! Cheers

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:44 pm