Side heat deflectors
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
deam
Labourer
Labourer

Side heat deflectors

by deam » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:58 am

Hi

I have just had a gorgeous new kitchen fitted which is red high gloss. I have chosen a free standing Belling range cooker and the fitter spoke to me this morning regarding the use of heat deflectors as the ovens on the cooker don't have a lip to protect any adjoining units against the heat. He said that he isn't sure if the heat will damage the adjoining units but it was something that had crossed his mind this morning when finishing up.

Can anyone advise please as it will be my husband and I who will have to fit these as I really don't want my lovely new high gloss kitchen to get heat damaged each time I open the oven.

I should add that we are novices at any DIY and really don't know where to start on this one. and the kitchen has been completed this morning.

many thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:53 pm

deam,
This issue is down to whoever supplied/fitted your kitchen, it's really not good enough for you to be told about this after the kitchen is completed and it certainly should not be your responsibilty to correct potential problems.
end

deam
Labourer
Labourer

by deam » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:59 am

Thanks for the reply

I think the problem lies with the fact that I bought the cooker separately and none of us realised that there is a gap when the fan oven opens until yesterday morning when he was polishing everything.

End of the day I just want to be able to correct or avoid any potential issues as I don't want the hear from the oven damaging the drawer unit.

The fitter is used to fitting integrated appliances rather than the large range type cookers and I don't think either of us realised that there was this gap as it is only the fan oven that has this gap. The conventional oven on the other side has a lip at the hinge side so no heat escapes.

Any other solutions would be gratefully recieved. Or are we both being slightly paranoid about this. He said that he really didn't know if it would be an issue at all just he had just noticed the differences in the 2 ovens. In all fairnedd I hadn't noticed it at all as we just took the tape off the cooker when he was polishing the kitchen up.

thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:57 pm

deam,
The issue here is "will the heat from the oven damage the adjoining units".
Undoubtedly heat will escape from the oven when the door is opened and this will be the case for any oven. Presumably your kitchen supplier will have been aware that a cooker was going to be placed next to their units and only your supplier will know whether their units are likely to be damaged by heat from an oven.
Either you seek advice from your supplier or wait and see if heat damage does occur.
end

deam
Labourer
Labourer

by deam » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:45 pm

Stoneyboy

Many thanks for your kind replies. I am going to try and ask him to fit whatever is necessary as it was his gas fitter and electrician who connected the cooker. At all times he knew what was going in as it was sitting in the middle of the kitchen waiting for connection. I guess I have just been a bit trown as it was almost like an afterthought as he was leaving after the kitchen was completed.

I suppose I just don't want my shiny new kitchen damaged when there is no need.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:23 am