Simple electric circuit for a table lamp connected to mains?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
techstudent
Labourer
Labourer

Simple electric circuit for a table lamp connected to mains?

by techstudent » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:12 pm

I am 14 currently looking for ideas for my GCSE tech project. I have been assigned the category "lighting" but i dont have much knowledge about how to create a functioning circuit with a standard es bulb, a bulb holder, some wires and a plug.

:?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:17 am

At 14 to instruct how to use low voltage (230vac) is not really the right approach. You need to start with separated extra low voltage i.e. a battery and lamp holder.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:12 pm

hi, agree with ericmark,
if you have a local branch of an electronics supplier such as Maplins or CPC both of whom have online catalogues it would be safer/easier to use lowvoltage system.
this can be as simple or complex as you wish.
obtain a low voltage bulb holder and bulb, say a car 12v type, you can use standard domestic type switches, one way /2way/intermediate to do the switching using the circuits on here under projects wiring a light.
simply substitute the mains with a 12v source such as a battery for an intruder alarm or 2 pj996 dry cells connected in series.

please feel free to ask about series parallel connections if not sure.
My daughters were doing this sort of thing at 11 years of age so I don't know what you are aware of, circuit wise,
regards Sparx

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:00 am