Single gang, Dual voltage, Shaver socket
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Negger
Labourer
Labourer

Single gang, Dual voltage, Shaver socket

by Negger » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:34 am

Hi, I'm looking for a single gang, dual voltage, shaver socket suitable for use in a bathroom. I saw one advertised recently, but didn't make a note of it, and now I cant find it!. It needs a 47mm deep backbox as transformer sits deep behind faceplate. I also want a flat faceplate, not the angled ones that are relatively commonplace.
Any suggestions where to find one please ?

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:37 pm

On screwfix alone there are 22 shaver sockets not including those which combine with lights. Nearly all shaver sockets are designed for single output that's how they make it safe by isolating if two or more outputs were allowed from same winding it would defeat the whole idea.
Two basic types switched 110 - 230 volt and separate socket for 110 - 230 volt. Most are same size as cooker outlet.
There are some like this Google "tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK0700.html" which only use a single size socket box but most like this one can't be used in bathrooms. Although it may seem that one could mount the transformer remote in real terms this can't be done and have a type tested socket so all need a double box to house the transformer.

Negger
Labourer
Labourer

by Negger » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:46 am

HI Eric, Thank you for replying. Unfortunately all the screwfix offerings require a double gang back box. I had located what I needed several months ago, and it specified a single gang 47mm deep back box to house the transformer, suitable for use in bathrooms. It's fitted in the back of a cabinet, hence space being restricted. However, I've not since been able to re-find it - perhaps it had been wrongly listed and has since been removed?
Looks like I shall have to settle for the proud fitting ones.
Regards

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:01 pm