Single Light Problem
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
CarrotTop
Apprentice
Apprentice

Single Light Problem

by CarrotTop » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:37 am

I have a light in the kitchen which is one has one of those pull up pull down light fittings. It stopped working on Saturday.

The live and neutral switch wire entering the light switch is showing a voltage of 5/6v when the light switch off and 10v when on. The live and neutral entering the fitting show a 5/6v when off and 10v when on. The is continuity between each end of wire (the live and neutral) in the light fitting. The terminals for the light bulb are showing 5/6v when off and 10v when on. I have tried several bulbs and have tested them in other fittings and they seem to work.

Any ideas would be appreciated. :shock:

ericmark

by ericmark » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:58 pm

Sorry but all your reading mean nothing. Mains voltage is 230v but I assume your using some SELV (Separated Extra Low Voltage) most of these are 12 volt, but since they are separated you can't measure to earth. Many are supplied from 'switch mode power supplies' which have a min as well as max output so will no load will show zero volts. Bad connections will allow voltage but not power to pass, so if bulb is disconnected when you measure the volts it may show correct, but would show nothing when bulb is connected. 10 volts to a 12 volt lamp should work it, although a little dull, but to 230 volt light would be the same as zero volts. Full marks for trying but I worry when people stick meters in which out enough knowledge to try to instruct you could be dangerous so I want to be safe and suggest you get someone in to look at it.

CarrotTop
Apprentice
Apprentice

by CarrotTop » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:25 am

Hi EricMark thanks for your posting.

The voltage thing (my readings) confused me to be honest! The light itself is wired directly into the mains.

Update - have rectified the problem. After eliminating the light fitting and socket by substitution that just left the wiring. There was a voltage at both the socket and light so started to check wiring in the ceiling void back from the single wire entering the light fitting (clue - this light was the last on the downstairs circuit. The rest of the lights were still working). Went to the feed from the previous light in the circuit. Retightened up the neutral in the junction box and hey presto there was light.

Back to the day job now for a rest... z z z.

CarrotTop
Apprentice
Apprentice

by CarrotTop » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:39 am

Sorry if I have replied in duplicate - the last posting does not seemed to have appearred!

Hi EricMark thanks for your posting. I found the voltage readings to be a bit confusing to be honest (I have checked the meter and it seems to be working ok). The light itself is wired into the ring main.

Update - have rectified the problem. After eliminating the light fitting and socket by substitution that just left the wiring. There was a voltage at both the socket and light so started to check wiring in the ceiling void back from the single wire entering the light fitting (clue - this light was the last on the downstairs circuit. The rest of the lights were still working). Went to the feed from the previous light in the circuit. Retightened up the neutral in the junction box and hey presto there was light.

Back to the day job now for a rest... z z z.

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:57 am

Glad you found it. Why Day job you have lights now you can work nights?

CarrotTop
Apprentice
Apprentice

by CarrotTop » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:36 pm

To lazy... like my bed too much. Actually chance would be a fine thing... :D

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:54 am