single skin wall
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
agb32
Apprentice
Apprentice

single skin wall

by agb32 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:28 am

Hi,
I'm trying to convert a utility room with a single skin wall into something more useful, by putting in wall insulation, and a raised floor.

I figured that building a breeze block wall inside with a cavity might not be a good idea, as the breeze block weight may crack the concrete floor. So, I was going to put up an insulated stud wall, with a cavity between it and the brick, ie 2 inch cavity, plywood, 4 inch insulation, plasterboard.

Does this sound reasonable? What should I do at the bottom? I was thinking of putting a damp proof membrane down, followed by a single layer of brick, and then put the stud wall on this - is that the correct way to do it?

There is also a 3 feet high section of wall with a window above it - for this section of wall, I was going to use damp proof membrane and then breeze block, as the weight wouldn't be too high... does that sound reasonable?

Thanks.

Chippe999
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Chippe999 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:55 pm

Hi, your idea sounds reasonable, perhaps youv'e already completed the job, but if you haven't, why not just have insulated plasterboard dabbed onto the external skin. This isn't the same as having a cavity and a second skin but even these may not achieve igloo comfort if your solid concrete floor is sucking all the bedrock chill straight up into the room. Just a thought.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:15 am