Single Socket Wiring
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

Single Socket Wiring

by nitro23456 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:59 pm

Whilst decorating the spare room I noticed one of the single sockets was hanging off the wall (stud wall) and whilst screwing back into the wall box I noticed it had three reds, three blacks and one earth.

This suggests to me that it has been spurred? but I cant think why or what to. There is nothing on the other side of the stud wall or anything directly below either. The wires go back into the stud wall box and down along with ring main in and out.

Am I missing something here? also shouldnt there be two earths? well three if it is spurred?

The only thing I can think of (and this is very much a guess) is this spur might go back under the floor and across the same room and back up into another new stud wall where there seems to be a newer double socket. (this new stud wall appears to have been moved at some point - knocked into and old cupboard to make spare room bigger). Now this new stud wall backs onto the airing cupboard and this newer socket appears (I presume) to have been fuse spurred again to provide power to the immersion!

This is definetly the case as if I isolate (MCB) the immersion on the CU this new double socket stops working as well (it is also RCD protected on CU)

Is this safe? I know you can't spur a spur - I am only assuming this is the case as I can't think where else this spur may go. But forgetting that, is it ok to spur for the immersion off the newer socket assuming itself isnt already a spur?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:26 pm

Blimey! several issues here it seems.
first if switching off mcb for immersion kills new dble socket then that is wrong as regs have always said immersions as a fixed load should not be fed from / or feed anything else.
If when immersion mcb off other sockets on then obviously not connected with your '3 cables' socket.
The spur could go anywhere even into loft for aerial amp say,
as for 3 cables -1 earth, make sure it's not 3 single stranded earths in one earth sleeving looking like 1x 3 stranded core.
Things are not always what they appear at first!
regards SPARX

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:46 am