size of brackets needed for secure fixing of shelves
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gaby
Labourer
Labourer

size of brackets needed for secure fixing of shelves

by gaby » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:35 pm

I want to fix an MDF shelf to a wall . The shelf is 208 cm long, 40 cm deep and 3 cm thick. It is for storage /display of clothes ie jumpers, T shirts etc. I want to use 3 wall brackets. The wall is brickwork to the sides but the central bracket will be fixed to a timber post in the wall.(This part of the wall has a partially boarded up window behind it -hence the wooden post ) I was thinking of using either cantilevered brackets or mitred brackets. Can I use brackets which are 20cm by 20 cm or does the bracket have to be the full depth of the shelf ie 40 cm . I would like to use as small a bracket as possible but need to ensure the shelf is secure and can take the weight of the clothes. Any advice would be much appreciated.

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:50 pm

YOU COULD FIX A BATTEN TO BOTH END WALLS AND FIX TIMBER SUPPORTS SPANNING THESE BATTENS BACK AND FRONT TO PROVIDE SUPPORT FOR YOUR MDF SHELF IT WOLULD ALSO GIVE THE APPEARANCE OF A MUCH THICKER/FLOATING SHELF.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:11 am