Skimming/repairing old walls
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Fifi Jakes
Labourer
Labourer

Skimming/repairing old walls

Post by Fifi Jakes » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:16 pm

Hi, I am renovating my home (built 1939) and the walls in the back bedroom seem to be different (with use of plaster). The adjoining wall to next door appears to be 2mm finish against scratch coat onto brick. The 2mm coat is extensively cracked and previous new patching evident. To repair properly, please can you advise how to do. Do I knock out and repair areas that were cracked or pull the entire coat off and skim?

On an internal wall it appears to be a 2mm layer of plaster backing onto a grey/white layer that doesn't look like plaster onto breeze block and I don't know what it is. What do I do with this wall? Should I dot and dab?

The ceiling looks fairly straight forward and can replace with plasterboard and skim, however the left hand edge is curved along the length of the room, where do I board upto?

[i](My first real experience was successfully replastering the bathroom - which is now part tiled and finished)[/i]

Any advice you can offer would be much appreciated!
[/img]

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:59 am

Hi, for plaster repairs it's a case of how far to go, if it just the skim that needs replacing remove the damaged area of scim and replace that with multi-finish plaster. If the scratch coat is loose or dry/powdery remove that to and replace that with browning before you skim it.
The external wall would be either a bonding compound or may also be a render coat. This can be scimmed over just the same as the other walls.
I can't really visulise your curved edge! i'm assuming the whole wall arcs round on one side of ceiling. For best results try to make template of arc, using this to cut that edge on board when needed. Remeber to staggered joints when boarding ceilings. If not plot the measurements on the board before cutting.
Hope info of use
KB

Fifi Jakes
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Fifi Jakes » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:24 pm

Thanks KB, will be cracking on with the room this weekend and your advice is appreciated.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:37 pm