Skirting boards - cut and damaged by builders laying floor
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JRW
Labourer
Labourer

Skirting boards - cut and damaged by builders laying floor

by JRW » Fri May 29, 2009 12:12 pm

The skirting boards in my flat have been badly cut by builders when laying a new wooden floor that slides underneath it along all the walls.

I thought it was a good idea to have the skirting cut apposed to having 'beading' around the edge. I was wrong!

The skirting board has been cut too high (leaving 0.5cm gap between the new floor and bottom of the skirting boards). It has also been cut unevenly and looks terrible.

Any ideas what I can do? Can I fill in this uneven gap with something? I can't bear the thought of removing all the skirting. Nor am I keen to have beading, as paid extra to avoid this.

Advice appreciated! I am a DIY novice.

JRW

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

by bd3cc » Fri May 29, 2009 9:20 pm

Have you fully paid for the work? If not, get your builder back, and express your dis-satisfaction with the finish, but it does rather depend what your initial agreement was.
Personnally I have never cut skirting to fit flooring, prefering to remove and refit.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Fri May 29, 2009 11:17 pm

In all honesty if you didn't want beading the solution was to remove skirting, lay floor and replace skirting - but that would probably mean redecoration afterwards unless they were very careful.

If you are dissatisfied with the work don't pay them until they have corrected it. If you have paid still get them back in. If the bottom edge of the skirting is that damaged it should be replaced at THEIR expense because they failed to do a job properly that you paid for.

Having said that UMHO they must have been nuts to take on the job if the spec was to trim the bottom of the skirts "in situ". It was bound to end in tears.

Cheers

GemmaBiron
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Skirting boards - cut and damaged by builders laying floor

by GemmaBiron » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:18 am

We just had new floor fitted. Our builders said it would be cheaper to remove the skirting boards, fit the floor, then fit the skirting boards back again.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:57 am