Skriting boards
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
STEPHENGW
Labourer
Labourer

Skriting boards

Post by STEPHENGW » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:04 am

I am fitting new skriting boards after laying a laminate floor. How do I acheive perfect corners on shaped skirting, a simple 45' cut will not work

Dan the man
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Dan the man » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:57 pm

First run a piece of skirt uncut right into the corner of the room, for the one that joins it just mitre it 45 angle then use a coping saw or jigsaw to cut the mitre off so now you have the profile of the skirt cut out, now butt it up, try a test peice first.

beginner 1
Labourer
Labourer

Post by beginner 1 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:56 am

Dan the man wrote:First run a piece of skirt uncut right into the corner of the room, for the one that joins it just mitre it 45 angle then use a coping saw or jigsaw to cut the mitre off so now you have the profile of the skirt cut out, now butt it up, try a test peice first.

i am rubbish at diy.but after been made redundant have decided to at least try and have ago. im goin to try putting skirting boards on,it will be going onto a brick wall.can anyone tell me what size drill bit i need to use to fix them to the wall and what size srews i need and how far into the wall they need to go.sorry for been stupid but have never really done diy and want to at least give it ago,thanks for your help.

Dan the man
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Dan the man » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:24 pm

Depends what size plugs you use and what type of skirt too, it tells you on the packet if you buy them new, 8mm bit and usually 40-50mm screws will do, really depends on the skirting though, you should measure the skirt and get it all cut, then just put the skirt in place and drill right through it into the wall (20mm bigger than the size of the screw) so more or less 90% of the drill bit will be used, then leave the skirt where it is and put your plug in the skirt then put your screw in the plug and hammer it right through untill it becomes quite hard to hammer, then use your cordless driver to screw the rest of the way.

beginner 1
Labourer
Labourer

Post by beginner 1 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:37 pm

Dan the man wrote:Depends what size plugs you use and what type of skirt too, it tells you on the packet if you buy them new, 8mm bit and usually 40-50mm screws will do, really depends on the skirting though, you should measure the skirt and get it all cut, then just put the skirt in place and drill right through it into the wall (20mm bigger than the size of the screw) so more or less 90% of the drill bit will be used, then leave the skirt where it is and put your plug in the skirt then put your screw in the plug and hammer it right through untill it becomes quite hard to hammer, then use your cordless driver to screw the rest of the way.

the skirting board is 7inch and taurus.so 8mm drill bit and straight into the skirt and wall.cheers i'll at least give it a go. :wink:

dannypthechippy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Skriting boards

Post by dannypthechippy » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:21 pm

STEPHENGW wrote:I am fitting new skriting boards after laying a laminate floor. How do I acheive perfect corners on shaped skirting, a simple 45' cut will not work

dont use a jigsaw as that will be very rough coping saw is just fine. easy way to do this is cut a scribe that its the backwards profile of the skirting. the easiest way to explain this is cut a 45 degree angle on a piece of skiting then cut down the 45 degree profile cut with coping saw. perfect scribe every time. you might need to adjust ur square cut as there mite be sum plaster snots on the wall kicking the skirting out at the bottom this wiil make ur joint very tight

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:48 pm

well, it rather depends, are we talking internal or external angles here? the scribing method already mentioned will only work in internal corners. for externals i use one of these:

Google "trend-uk.com/en/UK/product/ANGLEFIX/2/62/anglefix_mitre_guide_.html

a neat little tool that will automatically halve the angle. transfer the angle to your chopsaw with one of these:

http://www.awin1.com/awclick.php?mid=12 ... el-8-203mm

perfect external corners every time.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

Post by TheDoctor4 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:37 pm

Discover how easy it is to find vetted and insured tradesman local to your area with the help of DIY Doctor. Visit our Find a Tradesman area: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:21 am