Sliding Doors - What to Use Other Than MDF?
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
frales
Labourer
Labourer

Sliding Doors - What to Use Other Than MDF?

Post by frales » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:46 pm

Hi

I have a very large built in cupboard which I used 18mm MDF for the sliding doors. I used 18mm MDF for shelves and etc also.

I papered the doors and I have found that the doors are bowed. I also need to keep tightening the track to the support above as I believe the weight of the doors is causing the screws to loosen when the doors are used.

The doors are very heavy as they are 18mm thick and 1230 x2220mm times 2. When they are opened they make an incredible rumbling noise which I believe is due to the weight.

I have considered changing the doors to three doors with a thinner sheet material . I just don't know what to go for as I know it is a bad idea to paper the sheet material, I think this caused the MDF to bow, but I don't want to have plain painted doors. I considered MF MDF and even Shower boards which come in a variety of finishes but are quite expensive.

I have also found that MDF is not good for holding screws and this is why I am not sure of what material to use.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Sliding Doors - What to Use Other Than MDF?

Post by welsh brickie » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:21 pm

you could use 20mm pine as the frame surround and 8mm ply as the panel, or frosted glass instead of the panels

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:14 pm