sliding wardrobes
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
studog
Labourer
Labourer

sliding wardrobes

by studog » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:24 pm

Hello knowledge masters!!!

I am looking to fit myself a sliding wardrobe at the end of my bedroom and I want it to be a mirrored one. So I research buying "pre fabed" doors and the largest I can get for a decent price is 2500mm high. My house is a really old back to back and the floor to ceiling measurement is 2800mm.

I'm having trouble figuring out how I will fit them... will I have to build a platform at the bottom 300mm high? also would you advise to build a structure on the inside and line it so that my clothes etc are not in contact with the wall?

All help/ideas/advice is welcome on this one, it's my first go at joinery, so i'm slightly apprehensive!

p.s I have looked at the link on this site and it is useless, basically just an advert for a company website I'd already looked at so your input on this problem would be useful!

Thank you all very much!

Stu

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:05 pm

you are going to have to fit the sliders to something so i'd suggest a six-inch high base and six inch boxwork at the top. will make it easier to fit the sliders.

can't see why you shouldn't have your clothes in contact with the walls unless they are damp or mouldy then why not?

a structure inside wouldn't be strictly necessary though might be useful if you wanted some shelving in there.

andycroal
Labourer
Labourer

by andycroal » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:42 pm

hi just construct a timberheader, this is your best option

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:36 pm

Yes fit a timber header as a framework for very nearly a foot! Bit like a stud wall but fixed through the ceiling to a joist. You can then fix your top rail underneath that and the bottom rail direct onto the floorboards.

When you've done fix plasterboard to the front face of the timber header frame, light plaster skim and then you can paper or paint to match the remaining decorations in the room.

HTH

Cheers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:36 pm