Ask questions and find answers on all your decking problems and issues

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Hayley Webber
Labourer
Labourer

Slippery Decking

by Hayley Webber » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:11 am

After some advice please!!

Can anyone recommend something to stop both my kids and my dog slipping on our decking. Tried the paint and it doesn't last. Surely someone must have a long term solution for this? Dont want to rip up the decking.

Many thanks.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Slippery Decking

by welsh brickie » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:30 am

If its slippery because of wet weather then lay sections of af astro turf on it,If its moss on the decking you need a pressure hose to clear it.

OZZIE16
Labourer
Labourer

by OZZIE16 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:16 pm

Hayley Webber wrote:After some advice please!!

Can anyone recommend something to stop both my kids and my dog slipping on our decking. Tried the paint and it doesn't last. Surely someone must have a long term solution for this? Dont want to rip up the decking.

Many thanks.

I have the same problem along with the whole country.I read about a product called Oxygen Bleach sold on Amazon and used extensively in America for washing down the siding on houses.The best to use is the pure form called Sodium Percarbonate available from" Mistral " advertised on Amazon but cheaper via their own website.cost £25.06 for 5kg delivered .You mix 2 cups with hot water and brush on the decking,I used a soft 12" sweeping brush ,use the whole bowlful in one go and then I scrubbed the same area with a stiff decking brush on a long handle.You can actually see it working as it foams on the decking,I then washed it off with a pressure hose and the result was great.I probably have enough for several more applications but this was the best way to buy it.I also considered astroturf until I priced it ,I need a lot.Garden centres and fishing clubs staple small mesh chicken wire on the decking as this also helps when frost is about,not that good to look at but it could prevent a nasty fall.

aronsearle
Labourer
Labourer

by aronsearle » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:50 pm

You can route in grip inserts, look up gripdeck or other such products.

Pressure washing the deck will help if it is dirt and algae related.

ensure that the gaps between boards allow water to drain.

If the boards are slightly cupped this will cause them to hold more water on the surface.

roquevalente
Labourer
Labourer

by roquevalente » Wed May 30, 2012 11:01 pm

hello, there is such thing as antislip or anti slippery decking, see here for a picture:
Attachments
decking antislip profile
decking antislip profile
small reeds 1.jpg (9.11 KiB) Viewed 2972 times

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:34 pm