Sloping drive- gate opening advice
Topics ranging from metal fencing, wooden fencing and concrete fencing to name just a few. find answers and post your questions here

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rubrenus
Labourer
Labourer

Sloping drive- gate opening advice

by rubrenus » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:56 pm

My drive slopes steeply upwards from the pavement where I am fitting wrought iron gates. I've seen a special hinge system somewhere (can't remember where) which swings the gates up over the rising drive. Can anyone help me with where to source these?
thanks.

Scoobslufc
Labourer
Labourer

Fitting Gates to a sloping driveway

by Scoobslufc » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:42 am

Hi, I have a similar problem to the one you posted on in July. Please could you tell me how you overcame it as I am drawing a blank on finding the hinges to deal with the slope.
cheers
Roberto

rubrenus
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Fitting Gates to a sloping driveway

by rubrenus » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:58 pm

[quote="Scoobslufc"]Hi, I have a similar problem to the one you posted on in July. Please could you tell me how you overcame it as I am drawing a blank on finding the hinges to deal with the slope.
cheers
Roberto[/quote] Icouldn't find anything tailor made, so
I made up a bracket to carry the bottom hinge about 6" back from the post. This takes the gate from the vertical position in line with the slope of the drive. You have to make the bracket so the hinge will slide in it - otherwise the gate will not hang vertically. Hope this helps.
cheers,
Roger.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:32 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

drjamesr
Labourer
Labourer

fixing gate to open up a hill

by drjamesr » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:02 pm

The same problem here - a gate that needs to open up a hill sloping up at right angles to the line of the shut gate (in distinction to a hill sloping along the line of the shut gate). After a bit of experimentation there is a possible solution that needs only ordinary hinges. Normally hinges would be set beneath each other and on the edge of the vertical gate post. The idea here is to offset the hinges at an angle equal to that of the slope. A triangular board fixed to the gate post along the line of the shut gate will permit the top hinge to be set further out into the gate opening space than the bottom hinge. The hinges must be fixed at right angles to the outer slope of the triangular board. (A diagram would make it easier to explain). No need to cut the gate, just fix it to the triangular board with the bottom edge PARALLEL to the ground when shut. Looks just like a standard gate. Yet when open, the bottom of the gate will slope upwards, at the same slope as the hill. Looks like magic if you can't see the hinges!

It's not a perfect solution as the gate will lean into the opening when open, and it will need to be secured so that it doesn't close under it's own weight onto your brand new car as you drive out. Opening the gate will require more and more effort the steeper the hill. But the method does work.

A more elegant solution is a pivoting hinge mechanism so that the gate can be tilted outwards in the shut position. The gate can then be opened parallel to the slope. The effort required still increases with the steepness of the slope but the gate doesn't slope inwards when open. I haven't seen such a mechanism being sold but let me know if there is one.

smuudge
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Sloping drive- gate opening advice

by smuudge » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:48 pm

Hi, DrJames, sounds like a good solution, is there any chance you could email me with a simple diagram?

I think i understand what you mean but it would be helpful if you could show me your tried and tested method!?

Thanks
Ben

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Sloping drive- gate opening advice

by welsh brickie » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:19 pm

hinges will only work on a slight angle,have you considered opening the gates outward,or put runners on the gate and slide the gate to open and close.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:41 am