Sloping Drive
Drainage pipes, concrete, footings and foundations. Post your questions and find answers here

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
colc
Labourer
Labourer

Sloping Drive

by colc » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:14 pm

Hi there i'm looking to put a driveway down the side of my house, the house sits 2 metres above the road ground level and about 8 meteres away from the pathway, can anyone tell me what the legal limit is for driveway gradients or isn't there one. i have searched the internet and can't seem to find much on this accept i came a cross and old local council brief from a differant area which houses in that area must conform to the maximum gradient of 10:1 :cry:

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:21 pm

Due to recent changes in planning regulations laying an impermeable surface at the front of a property now requires planning permission.

I suggest you contact your friendly local Planning Officer and discuss the project with him to be absolutely certain.

Cheers

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:18 pm

There are many homes in this area with one in four drives, some are steeper.
My concern is what happens in bad weather?
If I didn't have a 4x4 getting out would be impossible at times.
The current regulations are to avoid people covering the front of their homes with concrete and bricks. To remove some of the load off the sewage system.
If you have twin tracks with grass down the middle you will probably be OK
A drain moving the surface water into a soak away in your garden will help.

stuart_craigon2003
Tradesman
Tradesman

by stuart_craigon2003 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:44 pm

I'd like to and a bit to this question and see if anyone can answer it.

I have a sloaped drive no idea what the gradeiant is but i want to demolish the double garage (two single doors) at the top and levle the top area to give a big parking area.

What do i do? Should I go to my local ltarmac supplier (who also surface roads them selfs) and ask for their advice or what?

Thanks.

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:34 am

I'm not sure where this is going?
The original query was, how steep an angle can a driveway be.
My reply was that in this area some driveways are very steep, some around 1 in 4.
It would be pointless for the Councils to pontificate or regulate when the mountain roads are so steep.

Rosebery added at point about cementing or bricking over the front garden of a home, because of the new regulations, attempting to inhibit the flow of rainwater into the drains and causing flooding.

I mentioned that having a grass patch down the middle with the twin tracks sloping inwards would help resolve this, as would fitting a drain across the drive to collect the water and dispose of it via an in garden soakaway.

Taking down a garage is not a problem, nor is making a larger parking space providing its not in front of the building line, unless it causes rainwater to enter the sewage system.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:28 am