Small Front Garden Advice for Parking Bike and Solidifying Ground
Post your questions and get answers regarding all areas of drives, pathways and patios

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MahatmaAndhi
Labourer
Labourer

Small Front Garden Advice for Parking Bike and Solidifying Ground

by MahatmaAndhi » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:41 pm

Hi guys,

Above is a picture of my front garden in pretty bad shape. I want to turn it in to somewhere that I can park my bike every night, so I removed a fence panel and ride it in.
Where I've removed the fence (near the red circled bit), there's nothing but mud. It's over a foot deep as I found out this morning when I removed a shrub stump. Where I keep rolling my bike in and out of this bit, the mud is sinking and causing it to become more difficult to get it out (it's a heavy bike at around 250kg).
So I want to make the ground solid. A complete overhaul.

Those slabs are concreted in. I'm guessing that I will need to pickaxe them out. I have no idea how far the mud goes down, but it's definitely over a foot. I want it to be weed free - as you can see, they're a bit of an issue.

I am looking for suggestions as to tackle this in the cheapest way possible. I don't care whether it is completely solid and bland looking, graveled or slated - whatever. Just cheap and effective.

My DIY skills are practically non-existent, as is my budget. So I would like to know what you would suggest to turn this in to an area where I can easily move my bike in and out.

Thanks very much in advance.

P.S. The fence and plant can go too. I want a completely blank canvas.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Small Front Garden Advice for Parking Bike and Solidifying Ground

by welsh brickie » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:16 am

I would remove the grass dig down 200mm, lay 100m ballast or hardcore as its known, compact it with a machine, that you can hire and then concrete the area, you can have a company mix and barrow it for you, you just lay it. try youtube for videos on how to lay concrete

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:43 am