Smell from Soil Pipe
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Lazytrout
Labourer
Labourer

Smell from Soil Pipe

by Lazytrout » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:44 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, moved into a 1930's build house with a loft conversion done in last 10 years. Shortly after moving in, we discovered an unpleasant stale smell in our loft room en suite. A few days later we found a stronger similar smell in our conservatory especially around where the soil pipe is boxed in. (The soil pipe (single only) runs down the back of the house and into the ground. This has then had a conservatory built around it, so in effect the soil pipe runs back into the house.) I have had no obvious blockages. In the loft bathroom is an aav which i have replaced. Sometimes the odour in the conservatory is strong, other times weak. I called the local water authority and they were uninterested as noone else has reported any blockage or smell. I called dynarod. Their engineer informed my wife that he doesnt think its a sewerage smell and if waste is flowing that it wasnt the problem. I had a similar problem (smell) in a previous property, upon opening the inspection chambers outside the house, it was full. That was cleared, smell went. However there are no inspection covers anywhere on my property (or my adjoining neighbours). There doesnt seem to be any damp patches anywhere. Smell isnt awfull but it makes the conservatory unpleasant and sometimes a rear bedroom ( i think smell has travelled through airbricks and cavity as this room has the soil pipe externally). I am more or less convinced that it is the soil pipe system to blame, my only thought is that although aav's allow air to flow in when water flows through pipe, is there sometimes a greater need for the whole system to be vented in the traditional way? Grateful for any input as this really isnt my field!!!

peter the plumber
Ganger
Ganger

by peter the plumber » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:30 pm

I have seen this before; the last time was when they had not put a “uâ€

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:26 am