snake's in need of help
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kallum
Labourer
Labourer

snake's in need of help

by kallum » Mon May 04, 2009 9:39 pm

hi can anyone help me with this and the things i would need to do the job... i want to run a spur from my bedroom socket witch is on a ring main up to my loft, what i need to no..is it safe to run a spur 25foot to my loft.. will be useing heat mat's, {snake viv one's} will be on timers total power i will be useing will be 420watts and 7amps, so what i am asking is can i just run 2.5mm cable,from the back of bedroom socket 25 foot to loft into back of a socket :?: ....... any help would be great. :D

ps. got get the snakes up the loft girlfriend wants me sell them ahhh :cry: :cry:

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: snake's in need of help

by BLAKEY1963 » Tue May 05, 2009 1:16 pm

[quote="kallum"]hi can anyone help me with this and the things i would need to do the job... i want to run a spur from my bedroom socket witch is on a ring main up to my loft, what i need to no..is it safe to run a spur 25foot to my loft.. will be useing heat mat's, {snake viv one's} will be on timers total power i will be useing will be 420watts and 7amps, so what i am asking is can i just run 2.5mm cable,from the back of bedroom socket 25 foot to loft into back of a socket :?: ....... any help would be great. :D

ps. got get the snakes up the loft girlfriend wants me sell them ahhh :cry: :cry:[/quote]

KALLUM
I would say yes. get the advise of an electrcian to help u with the minor works cert , which would need to be completed

BLAKEY1963

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue May 05, 2009 1:18 pm

kallum,
if it's a ring final circuit you can take a spur from a socket as long as it has not already been spurred off, you will only be allowed one single, double or multi socket-outlet. That means you will not be allowed run a string of additional sockets on to this spur unless you use a FCU(fused connection unit)
This work although not required to be notifiable to controls would need a minor works cert.
KB

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue May 05, 2009 2:01 pm

Hi, as an addition to Blakeys reply, the wiring will need to be RCD protected if buried in wall.
If ring not so protected now, suggest going thro' wall to RCD/FCU ,
(RCD fused spur), then up to loft, this will also allow more than one socket outlet on the spur as total load will be restricted to 13A by fuse in spur,
regards SPARX

kallum
Labourer
Labourer

by kallum » Tue May 05, 2009 7:20 pm

wow cheers for the reply's yes the socket i am takeing the spur from is not all ready a spur ... just was'ent sure if it was safe runing the spur 25 foot. but by the reply's i think it is safe.. cheers for all the help ....kallum

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:56 pm